Sunday, September 14, 2014

What do others see?

Last week,  I received one of the greatest compliments I have ever received.  If not THE GREATEST.

I was speaking with a friend. She's dear to me. God placed her in mine and my husband's life when we were dating.  She moved away,  but thanks to Facebook, we were able to stay in touch.  Recently,  we found ourselves on a similar journey....foster care. This has drawn us even closer to one another. We've experienced many similar struggles and joys, while also supporting each other through different trials and triumphs.  She is a blessing to my life. 

Through all of our experiences, one thing hasn't changed.  Who I am. I'm just me. This 33 year-old girl who has this unshakable faith in this amazing God.  I talk about my  God every day. (I never realized how much until two of my former students said to me this year, "We are here to get our daily dose of preaching,  Mrs. B!  You're always talking to your friends about God.") God is a huge part of who I am. I will never stop singing His praises. I'm not always successful,  but I do try to look for His good and His purpose, even when times are difficult. 

Apparently,  I've been more successful than I ever imagined. My dear friend has been through some trials in her life.  She's been hurt.  She's been mistreated and let down. Through it all, though,  she's continued to live.

I knew my friend didn't have a church home, but I honestly didn't know where she stood with God and her beliefs.  I just kept telling her all the ways God was working in my life. I giggled at some of the things I saw God doing in hers....doesn't He have an awesome sense of humor?! I loved pointing them out to her. I prayed for her. Daily. I made sure she knew I was praying.  We talked about similar experiences we had been through...and I talked about how my faith carried me through.  Specifically,  I remember talking to her about forgiveness I had extended to someone who, by the world's standards,  doesn't deserve forgiveness. We talked about how I pray for this person and hope for good things for them. I remember telling her how God did the same for me. Again...this was just me being me. I had no ulterior motives.  I was sharing part of me with a friend I love...who understands me.

So, last week, we were talking about another situation.  I expressed that I knew God had a bigger and better plan. That His timing was better than mine could ever be. (How hard is this to hold on to at times,  though?!?!?)  The following are a few excerpts from my friend's response:

"Things in my life are happening to make me question my very core of existence.  There has to be a hand guiding me.  I have you and so many other people who base their lives on faith....."

"There has to be a reason that there are so many people in my life now with such a strong faith system.  I'm listening and learning and starting to believe there could be a great love out there for me..."

"You teach in ways you'll never know..."

I seriously lost it, there and then. I sobbed.  I wasn't trying to be a witness to her,  though I did want her to know God loves her and to see His love. I was truly just being me. I also realize she doesn't give me all the credit....of course,  I give God the credit, anyway.  He IS guiding her life. He is blessing her. She is seeing Him now, because her eyes have been opened.  (Perhaps because she is showing the same type of love the Gospel preaches by doing foster care? Perhaps through our conversations?  Perhaps through the stories her girls bring home from church/VBS? I'm sure many reasons combine....) I PRAY for my dear friend even more so now. I pray God ministers to her spirit daily. I pray she sees more of Him in her daily life. I pray she will come to know Him as a loving Father and best friend. You can never be too old for that.

Our conversation was a blessing,  though.  It was the first time someone told me an impact I'd had on their life like that. (Aside from my students) It encouraged and uplifted me. It also made me think.

One of my favorite scriptures is Matthew 5:14-16.  

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

Let your light shine...

Is your light shining? What do others see? Do they see God?  Do they witness unconditional love? Do they see a shining light in a dark world? Or do they see negativity?  Do they see a hypocrite? What do they see?

We really are teaching,  even when we don't realize it. We may be the only Bible people ever see. Are they seeing the truth?  Are they seeing a reason to believe?

I have been encouraged by my friend and by her words. I pray others also see. Christ in me and learn from me...just as I continue to love others!

Friend...I love you. Forever. I will continue to lift you in prayer.  Keep seeking and listening.  You are amazing....God and His faithfulness is even more amazing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment